TMJ / TMD Treatment from your Fleetwood Dentist
Countless Americans experience chronic facial and neck discomfort in addition to consistent and repeating headaches. In some cases, this discomfort is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, ingest, and yawn. Discomfort in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even limit activity.
Some signs and symptoms of TMD include pain in the jaw, discomfort, buzzing, or stuffiness in the ears, frequent headaches or neck aches, clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves, swelling on the sides of the face, muscle spasms in the jaw area, a change in the positioning of top and bottom teeth, and/or locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth.
If you notice any of these signs, let your Surrey dental professionals know. Your dentist can suggest the presence of TMD and develop an effective treatment just for you. There are a couple of basic steps you can take at home or work to avoid TMD from becoming more severe, or to prevent it from taking place:.
- Relax your face—bear in mind the guideline: “Lips together, teeth apart”.
- Avoid grinding your teeth.
- Avoid constant gum chewing.
- Don’t cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder—either make use of a headset or hold the receiver in your hand.
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth.
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand.
- Exercise excellent posture—keep your head up, back directly, and shoulders squared.
If you have any questions or concerns about TMJ / TMD treatment, please contact Derna Dental Clinic, your Surrey dental office, for more information.